ALBANIA – Tonight, after a tense battle, Anxhela Peristeri won this year’s Festivali i Këngës with the song “Karma”, and she will go on to represent Albania in Rotterdam in May at Eurovision 2021! Sardi Strugaj and Festina Mejzini ranked 2nd and 3rd respectively.
From the 18 participating acts in the final, a professional jury made of Luan Zhegu (composer, singer), Kastriot Çaushi (actor), Zana Shuteriqi (musicologist, composer), Vasil Tole (composer), Preç Zogaj (poet, writer), Ramë Lahaj (tenor) and Andri Xhah (spokesperson and commentator for Albania at the Eurovision Song Contest) selected the Albanian entry for Eurovision and they opted for Karma.
Anxhela, who has a quarter of a million followers on Instagram was considered by many as a favourite to win (we wonder why, though). During the ceremony of awards, Evi Reçi won a special award.
- In December 2001, Peristeri unsuccessfully participated in Festivali i Këngës with the song “Vetëm ty të kam”.
- In December 2016, she debuted at Kënga Magjike 2016 with the song “Genjeshtar”, where she finished in 2nd place.
- Then in December 2017, she won the 19th edition of Kënga Magjike with the song “E Çmendur”.
- In December 2019, she competed in the 21st edition with the song “Dikush i imi” and eventually finished in the third place.
- In October 2020, the broadcaster, Radio Televizioni Shqiptar (RTSH), announced Peristeri as one of the twenty-six contestants selected to compete in the 59th edition of Festivali i Këngës with the song “Karma”.
- Below you can rate the Albanian entry
- You can see all national selection updates (when available) here