USA – On March 21, Kelly Clarkson and Snoop Dogg will welcome the USA audience and the whole world in the first annual AMERICAN SONG CONTEST. Through 8 weekly shows, we will end up with the winner of the BEST ORIGINAL SONG.
But how this show will be formatted?
Surprisingly the leak comes from the social media platform REDDIT. The Eurovision allure will be all over the show (with all the Melodifestivalen elements). Here’s what we managed to understand from the posts on that social media platform.
- Most shows will have 11 participating acts. Obviously, one show will have 12 to accumulate a total of 56 participants.
- The viewers will be eligible to vote via the NBC website, the ASC app which will be introduced during the show and through… TIKTOK!
- From each quarterfinal show, four acts (most likely) will proceed to the semi-finals. In the semi-finals, each show will have 10 acts.
- The quarterfinals and semi-finals results announcement of the results will be similar to that of Eurovision (random order of qualifiers). In the final, Eurovisions voting style will also be used to announce the results (1-8, 10 and 12 points).
- It seems that there is also provision for all qualifiers to acquire NBC special equipment for their performances.
- There seems to be something like a common song for the finalists but we are not sure how this will work, titled READY TO GO but maybe it’s an opening or an interval act.
- A week before each show, rehearsals will kick off at the UNIVERSAL LOT STUDIOS and we will discover (weekly) the entries and all rehearsal details.
- Many European broadcasters such as Greece, Serbia, Spain, Sweden, Iceland, Finland and Estonia have acquired the broadcasting rights for a live or delayed airing of the show.
OFFICIAL RECORD LABEL
Atlantic Records will serve as the exclusive music partner for American Song Contest and will release the original songs featured on the series; beginning Monday 21 March 21, Atlantic will release each week’s new batch of songs at 00:00 (midnight) ET / 21:00 PT.
‘Atlantic Records is thrilled to partner with NBC and all the artists competing on ‘American Song Contest, ’ says Atlantic Records President, West Coast Kevin Weaver. ‘As an innovative music label, we are always looking for new ways to discover and showcase talent, and American Song Contest is the perfect stage for America to see the best of the best from each state and territory. We are honoured to be working with NBC, all of the incredibly talented artists and the entire American Song Contest team.’
The series will broadcast live from 20:00 – 22:00 ET/PT from the Universal Lot and will run for 8 weeks until the Grand Final on Monday 9 May (the day before the First Semi-Final of the Eurovision Song Contest in Turin).
Grammy-winning pop superstar Kelly Clarkson and multi-platinum music icon Snoop Dogg will host the shows.