FINLAND / PRESS RELEASE – Finland’s representative for the Eurovision Song Contest 2022 will be chosen on February 26 in the UMK22 final show. The Contest for New Music UMK final will be available for international audiences on Yle’s streaming service Yle Areena with commentary in six languages. Last year’s winner Blind Channel will kick off the show at Turku Logomo arena with their explosive energy.
Finland’s largest music show, the UMK final will be aired live on February 26, 9 pm (EET) / 8 pm CET on Yle Areena for international audiences.
Seven acts and songs are competing in the final to represent Finland in the Eurovision Song Contest in Turin, Italy, in May 2022: Cyan Kicks: Hurricane, BESS: Ram pam pam, The Rasmus: Jezebel, Younghearted: Sun numero, Olivera: Thank God I’m an Atheist, Tommi Läntinen: Elämä kantaa mua, and Isaac Sene: Kuuma jäbä.
The winner will be chosen jointly by Finnish television viewers and an international UMK jury. The public will account for 75 % of the vote and the juries for the remaining 25 %.
Artist Vesala and influencer Mmiisas will host, Blind Channel to open the show!
The UMK22 final will be hosted by Vesala, one of Finland’s most recognized and acclaimed artists, and Mmiisas who is one of the biggest online personalities and digital creators in Finland. Vesala will also perform at the show.
Vesala comments: “As an artist, hosting the biggest music show in Finland is a slightly crazy step for me. I really look forward to seeing amazing performances at the final, and the moment when we get to ask the points from the international jury! My own show will be built by a spectacular team of modern dance professionals, led by choreographer Natasha Lommi.”
Last year’s UMK winner, rising in international stardom, Blind Channel, will open the final show. The band promises to fill the Turku Logomo arena with their energy.
“The UMK finalists this year will feel lucky that we are not competing this year,” the band comments.
The UMK22 final will be aired live worldwide in six different languages on Yle Areena, Yle’s online streaming service.
Languages available are Finnish, Swedish, English, and Russian. Also available this year is commentary in Northern Sami and Inari Sami languages as well as simplified Finnish.
Additionally, TenTV in Spain will broadcast the UMK22 final and offer commentary in Spanish.
Accreditation for UMK22 final press conferences
On February 26, the day of the UMK22 final, two press conferences will take place at Turku Logomo. It is possible to participate either on-site or remotely.
Due to the current COVID-19 situation, we can only invite a limited number of journalists and photographers to the site. However, all journalists applying for accreditation can follow the press events remotely and send questions via chat.
6.30 pm (EET): UMK22 final press conference with all seven artists
11.15 pm (EET): Winner press conference after the final
UMK’s own photographer publishes pictures of all performances, presenters and the winner, which are distributed to all journalists with the winning announcement.
Apply for accreditation by February 20. We will announce our decisions by February 22.