THE NETHERLANDS – Rotterdam has been announced as the 2020 Eurovision Song Contest host. City with AHOY ARENA the venue of the event. But there are several developments regarding the contest which we will present you here in highlights, so you can all get a clear view.
Shula Rijxman, Director General of NPO said: “It is our wish to organize a Eurovision Song Contest that is embraced throughout the Netherlands and also functions as a showcase for our country in Europe. We are happy that as a public broadcaster we can now really work together with Rotterdam and the Ahoy arena to organize a unique event that connects and inspires all inhabitants of the Netherlands and Europe.”
- 29 countries so far confirmed participation for Rotterdam. By mid September the national broadcasters have to apply with mid October as their decline t withdraw without penalty.
- Maastricht was not chosen for Eurovision 2020 mainly due to the venue ceiling issue despite a extreme budget promise of about 15+ million Euros by the city (in cash and resources).
- Rotterdam is home to 634,660 people and Rotterdam Ahoy, the convention centre and arena where Eurovision 2020 will take place. Built in 1970, the arena’s design, which took inspiration from Rotterdam’s port and shipping industry, won various national and international awards.
- The Head of Dutch broadcaster NPO, has said that they will be making a case to the Dutch Government for a significant amount of funds for Eurovision 2020 (between 15 and 20 million Euros).
- The Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte, has previously stated that he is hesitant in providing Government funds towards the contest. He said that it is “not a popular idea” to use tax payers money on hosting the 2020 Eurovision Song Contest.
- Dutch commentator, Cornald Maas will be the creative. advisor of the event. Along with the core team of Eurovision 2020, The Netherlands go full time Dutch in organising the event.
- Cornald Maas clarifies that unlike other host countries, The Netherlands will not choose they Eurovision entry in a way to avoid a second consecutive victory.
- Rotterdam Town Hall will host the Key Insignia and semi finals allocation draw at the end of January.
- Eurovision 2020 tickets are expected to be available (at least the first batch) by mid December. Rotterdam asked the EBU to withhold 1000 tickets for all shows for low income Dutch who wish to attend the event.
- Erasmus Bridg at Coolsingelseems to be the location for the location for the red carpet which will be made out of recycled materials. The date seems to be May 10th.
- Rotterdam Mayor calls for the government to make the security measures as shadowed as possible and give the event a national allure.
- Maassilo, seems to be the choice for the Euroclub
- Willemsplein and Binnenrotte are the possible premises for hosting the Eurovillage
- On March 9th the heads of delegations will gather for they final meting before the contest in central hotel in Rotterdam.
- There are several proposals for the 2020 Eurovision slogan to refer to freedom as the country will celebrate is 85th anniversary from their liberation from Nazis.